How come businesses’ interest in driver safety training programs increased by nearly 70 percent from 2020? In our company, Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for driver safety training have seen a significant jump, and we are only in the first quarter of the year. The increase is staggering and makes me wonder why there was such an increase. The reasons vary from company to company.
Pre-pandemic, companies were only interested in training staff whose official role was that of a professional driver, meaning their primary job was to drive vehicles. Now, we see a lot of interest in driver safety training for staff whose official role or primary duty is not driving, but they either drive their own vehicles to work or an official car.
In a post-pandemic world, safety has become a top priority, especially for businesses with fleets. Companies now see the importance of focusing on the health and well-being of their employees. With driver safety training, you can ensure the safety of your drivers, reduce the risk of accidents, and save money in the long run.
Features of driver safety training:
- Comprehensive safety training: Driver safety training covers everything from defensive driving techniques to vehicle maintenance and inspection, ensuring that your drivers are well-equipped to handle any situation that may arise on the road.
- Customizable training programs: Every business is different, and driver safety training can be customized to meet the specific needs of your fleet, whether that means focusing on certain driving scenarios or specific safety protocols.
- Accessible training options: With both in-person and online training options, driver safety training is more accessible than ever before, making it easier to ensure that all of your drivers receive the training they need.
Advantages of driver safety training:
- Reduced risk of accidents: By teaching your drivers safe driving techniques and best practices, you can significantly reduce the risk of accidents and the associated costs, including vehicle repairs, medical expenses, and insurance premiums.
- Improved driver behavior: Driver safety training can help improve driver behavior, including reducing distracted driving, aggressive driving, and other unsafe behaviors that can lead to accidents and other issues.
- Increased efficiency and productivity: With safer drivers, you can reduce downtime due to accidents or other issues, allowing your fleet to operate more efficiently and productively.
Benefits of driver safety training:
- Cost savings: By reducing the risk of accidents and associated costs, driver safety training can save your business money in the long run.
- Improved reputation: A commitment to driver safety can improve your business’s reputation, showing your customers and stakeholders that you take safety seriously and care about the well-being of your drivers and the public.
- Peace of mind: By prioritizing driver safety, you can know that your drivers are well-prepared and equipped to handle any situation that may arise on the road.
Case Study: Reducing Accidents and Maintenance Costs
A courier company in Accra, Ghana, was experiencing high accident rates and increasing maintenance costs. After a consultation with us, the company decided to invest in driver safety training for its fleet of drivers. We set a goal to train a hundred percent of their drivers in 3 months, as the company’s CEO placed this as a top priority.
Even with scheduling conflicts, we were able to meet our goal. The training was in-person and covered topics such as defensive driving, vehicle maintenance, and road safety regulations. In precisely 11 months after implementing the training, the company saw a significant decrease in accident rates and a reduction in maintenance costs. The reduction in maintenance costs alone was astonishing at $108,117.24. The drivers also reported feeling more confident and prepared on the road, which led to increased productivity and job satisfaction.
We find that job satisfaction is one of the top reasons drivers drive safely. When drivers feel valued and supported by their employer, they are more likely to take pride in their work and be invested in the success of the company. There is a positive correlation between job satisfaction and a greater sense of responsibility towards their job, including the safe operation of company vehicles.
A company that prioritizes driver safety training is demonstrating its commitment to the well-being of its employees. This creates a positive work environment and fosters a sense of loyalty and dedication among employees.
In general, job satisfaction is closely tied to employee motivation and engagement, leading to better job performance and greater success for the company. By prioritizing driver safety training, companies improve their safety record while creating a culture of respect and support for their employees.
In conclusion, driver safety training is an essential investment for any business with a fleet. It only takes 5 minutes to track the benefits of driver safety training, whether you’re tracking safety reports or maintenance costs. Set a benchmark, implement driver safety training, and track your costs in 6–12 months. The results are usually impressive.
By taking advantage of the customizable training options and comprehensive safety training available, you can reduce the risk of accidents, improve driver behavior, increase efficiency and productivity, and ultimately save money and improve your business’s reputation.